579 SELBY AVENUE
19th Century Boarding House Becomes 21st Century Headquarters
Saint Paul, MN
Real Estate Equities
Historic tax credit certification, Saint Paul heritage preservation approvals, design guidance for historic redevelopment
8,907 sq. ft.
Historic tax credits restore a neighborhood landmark.
The Chateauesque style double-house was originally built in 1890. By 1903, it had been converted to a boarding house. Over the next century, the building served a variety of purposes – from housing to restaurant to chocolatier – so that the historic interior had substantially been obscured by repeated renovations.
New History worked with the developer and future occupant to restore the historic house as the company’s new headquarters and office space. New History engaged with the design team, owner’s representative, and client to reconstruct the interior while creating office space to keep the building vital for the next century. State and federal historic tax credits were a key financial tool to make the reuse possible.